Monday, June 05, 2017

{Mixed Media Tutorial} Creating A Hopeful Message by Lynne


Hello Everyone! Lynne here today with my June tutorial post for STAMPlorations and this month I am sharing with you all the steps in my creation of these two inspirational canvases featuring the new STAMPlorations set NEW BEGINNING by Dee's Artsy Impressions.


Sometimes a card just isn't enough when you want to show someone you care.  So when I came across these 4x6 inch board canvases in my local dollar store in packages of three for $1, I bought them all!  And now I will show you how I altered them mixed media style to send off to a friend that really needs some love and encouragement...


For the first canvas I started by gluing down a patterned napkin to the canvas and then applying some glossy white embossing paste over top once it had dried.


When the past was dry I then brushed on some blue and gold paint with my fingers... Background One completed


For the second canvas I applied ColourArte Silks acrylic glazes with a pallet knife


and then applied gold paint and metallic silver embossing paste through the Just Flow stencil, which I later outlined to make these shapes pop even more... Background Two Complete!



Now let's get ready to create the water coloured images from these stamps.  I am using a heat embossing technique so I stamped my images on watercolour paper using embossing ink and a white glossy embossing powder and then heat set.  You really need to use watercolour paper for this technique, regular card stock just can't take this kind of abuse... (Grin).  Now for some watercolour fun!


I am using my brand new Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolours and aren't these colours amazing?



Spray water onto the heat embossed images, enough so that you have pools of water in the cells that the embossing created....



Next, using a paint brush, drop your paint  into the pool of water and watch it spread.  



Continue to add colours to these pools until your cells are full of colour and let them dry... I did NOT use a heat gun but allowed my images to dry naturally.  I find that the heat gun moves the water around too much.


Here is a close up of a wet image..


And this is a close up of a Dry Image


Next, I cut out and mounted the now dry images onto the backgrounds and added the sentiments from the New Beginning stamp set using foam tape.


And the final step for me is always an application of Ranger's Stickles, Liquid Pearl and Glossy Accents... Here is the BEFORE photo...
And this is the AFTER photos... Can you see the difference? Grin



And this is a photo of almost everything I used on this project, I am missing the ColourArte Silks (Ooops!) 

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial this month and that it inspires you to go play with some of your stencils and products... and if you do create something with your stencils don't forget to link it up to this month's Mixed Media Challenge where it is always Anything Goes Except a Card as long as you use a stencil, Any Stencil... There are Prizes!


Prizes:
- $10 gift certificate to the winner voted by the Mixed Media team
- $5 gift certificate each to the 2 top picks
- If there are 25 or more entries: 1 random winner of any 2 standard size stencils




Thanks for popping in today to see what I created and  please do leave me a comment if you like what you are seeing!

for the STAMPlorations Mixed Media Design Team 

 

(Remember to use discount code STAMPGIRLLYNNE over at the STAMPlortions store to receive 20% off your entire order, even sale items)
 
STAMPlorations Products Used on this Project:
STAMPlorations: New Beginning
 
ARTplorations: Just Flow
Other products used on this project:
ColourArte Silks Acrylic Glazes
Copic Markers
Kuretake Gansai Tambi Watercolours
Ranger: Stickles, Liquid Pearl, Glossy Accents and Archival Ink
Stampendous: Dreamweaver Glossy White and Metallic Silver Embossing Paste
Stampendous Opaque White Embossing Powder




7 comments:

  1. Absolutely Stunning watercolored images, Lynne for your beautiful stenciled backgrounds. TFS all your photos and detailed descriptions. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soooo much Nancy for the kind words. I am so glad you are enjoying my tutorials... (hugs) back!

      Delete
  2. Simply stunning canvases Lynne, fabulous designs and colours and thanks for sharing the process

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful canvasses that must have really given your friend a lift! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)